Blue & Black Scrappy Quilt-as-You-Go


I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240. Finished size: 51" x 61"
To use up my stash of leftover batting scraps, individually quilted the pieced blocks and borders on my Bernina 240, and then joined everything together using the Quilt-as-You-Go method.

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 
 The center portion of this quilt is made up of 12 Crazy Blocks.
The three borders are: 1) a 3-layered brick border, 2) a blue floral print border, and 3) a border made from Hour Glass blocks.

The back of this quilt is a scrappy combination of various blue patterned cottons, each joined together with 1" black bindings/sashings that are a result of the Quilt-as-You-Go process.

Because of the Quilt-as-You-Go method, both the front and the back of this quilt offer identically-scaled scrappy and fun patchwork looks.

I individually quilted each of the blocks with straight-line quilting, using royal blue thread.
I joined all the blocks and borders together with black binding/sashings and black thread.

I embroidered the label of this quilt directly onto the binding.

Loving the wrinkly, scrunchiness of the quilt once it has been washed.

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
The first three Crazy Blocks I made, before I individually quilted them.

After finishing the 12 central Crazy Blocks and adding the 3-layered brick border, I decided this quilt was still too small to be a comfortable, oversized couch quilt. Two more borders were added.

I made Hour Glass blocks from even more blue and black scraps, and ended up needing 46 hourglasses to complete all four sides of the last (3rd) outer border.

Attaching the already quilted hourglass border with black binding/sashing using the the Quilt-as-You-Go method.

Before attaching the machine sewn binding to the quilt, I embroidered the label onto the binding fabric using my Brother PE700 embroidery machine.

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
To use up my stash of leftover batting scraps, I individually quilted the pieced blocks and borders on my Bernina 240, and then joined everything together using the Quilt-as-You-Go method.
Finished size: 51" x 61"
Front piecingThe center portion of this quilt is made up of 12 Crazy Blocks. Then there are 3 borders as follows: 1) a 3-layered brick border, 2) a blue floral print border, and 3) a border made from Hour Glass blocks.
BackA scrappy combination of various blue patterned cottons, each joined together with 1" black bindings/sashings that result from using the Quilt-as-You-Go method.
Binding: Machine sewn black cotton, includes embroidered label.
Quilting: Central blocks and 2 of the 3 borders are quilted with straight-line quilting. The outside hourglass border is quilted "in-the-ditch". Used royal blue thread for all quilting, and black thread for joining all of the bindings/sashing strips.


Comments