Flannel Pinwheel Lap Chemo Quilt

With donated blocks, I pieced sashing and borders in this quilt using my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 41" x 56"

(click on photos to enlarge)
FINISHED QUILT: 


Front piecing: The 12 flannel pinwheel blocks were expertly pieced by a friend and then given to me. These blocks were the perfect size to make a donated small lap quilt (for use during chemo treatments). I made sashing and borders to join the blocks using the gorgeous "Mariposa Meadow" fabric line by StudioE.

BackingThe backing is a little less than 2 yards of Cotton & Steel's "Homebody Boxes". A beautiful aqua compliment to the flannel pinwheel blocks.

Quilt Stitching: The quilting is a loose, edge-to-edge feminine pattern called "Ginger Snap" from Intelligent Quilting

Both the front and back of the quilt is stitched in a lovely aqua thread called "Glacier" (So Fine 50 #471).

Since this was going to be a donated quilt, I chose to use a permanent fabric pen to add very small initials and the year rather than attaching an official label.

I also made a chemo port pillow to be given to the recipient of this quilt. I followed this tutorial.

PROGRESS PHOTOS:
Construction-front:
A friend expertly pieced these flannel pinwheel blocks, and then gave them to me to create a finished quilt. I noted the colors used in the blocks worked wonderfully with some beautiful yardage I had called "Mariposa Meadow" by StudioE.

I first trimmed all the blocks down to 11" x 11".

Then I arranged the blocks into a 3x4 grid.

I chain pieced 2"x2" cornerstones onto the ends of seventeen sashing strips (each 2" wide by 11" long), which were attached between each 11" block.

Quilting:
 Here's the 3-layered quilt sandwich: backing fabric, batting, and the completed pieced top, loaded onto my long arm, ready to be stitched. I used double thickness cotton batting for extra warmth and cushiness.


Quilting the edge-to-edge pattern "Ginger Snap" by Intelligent Quilting. 

The last of six rows being stitched.

Trimming:
Squaring up the quilt after taking it off the long arm, getting it ready to add the binding.

Binding:
This quilt's binding is machine sewn, and made from the same aqua fabric as the backing, Cotton & Steel's "Homebody Boxes".

First attaching the binding strip to the back of the quilt...

...then wrapping it around to the quilt front.

 For precise binding seam sewing, I use my Bernina 240's blind hem foot

Washing:
After machine washing twice with dye trapping sheets (I use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers), a great deal of blue and purple fabric dyes are removed, and the quilt is very soft, ready to be used to provide warmth and comfort. 

QUILT SUMMARY:
A friend made and donated blocks to me, and I pieced sashing and borders on this quilt using my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 41" x 56"
Front piecing12 flannel pinwheel blocks (each 11"x11") laid out 3x4, then joined together with 2" sashing and surrounded by 3.5" borders using the "Mariposa Meadow" fabric line by StudioE.
Back: Yardage of Cotton & Steel's "Homebody Boxes".
Binding: Machine sewn, from the same Cotton & Steel's "Homebody Boxes" fabric as the backing.
QuiltingQuilted in an edge-to-edge pattern called "Ginger Snap". Used "Glacier" (So Fine 50 #471) thread on both the front and back.


Comments