Quarantine Dog Nap Quilt - #2 of 7

During my "2020 stay at home quarantine time", I created several nap-sized & crate-sized quilts for all 7 of my grand-pups! This "orphan block" quilt was made for Silas.

Finished size: 31" x 31"

💙🌈In June of 2023, at 11 years old, Silas crossed the rainbow bridge. 🌈💙


(click on photos to enlarge)
Quilt Front:
All materials used were remaining fabrics from previously completed projects.
Front Piecing: I combined (3) orphan blocks from a Crayon Box quilt I made in 2018, and (1) orphan block from a Lego quilt I made in 2019, to build this quilt top.  
Binding: I used leftover binding strips from 3 quilts I previously made: the Lego quilt, the Cactus Baby Quilt and the Nautical Youth Quilt.


Quilt Back:
Backing: This is a single sheet of turquoise blue flannel that was given to me by a good friend. Flannel is so perfectly comfy for a napping pup.

Quilting:
Quilting: Here is the quilt, loaded and ready to be quilted on my Janome QMP18 longarm



BattingFor extra cushion, I used 2 layers of cotton batting. I overlapped the batting layers in an offset layout to avoid any lumps or bumps.


Quilt Stitching: Following Linda Matteotti's tutorial, I created digitized text quilting designs in Art & Stitch and imported them into my ProStitcher software on my longarm. I made a block with the pup's name, and made sure to mirror reverse the image throughout the blocks, so that his name reads correctly either from the front or the back.

Thread: Both the front and the back are quilted on my Janome QMP18 using Out of the Blue So Fine 50 (#433).


Washing:
As nice as a finished quilt top can turn out, I think the true beauty in a quilt happens after the quilting is complete, binding has been added, and the quilt is washed. It becomes soft, pliable, and is filled with wrinkles and puckers that make it ready to be used and loved.


Since this quilt was completed at the same time I was making 4 others, I washed 5 quilts together. I used Color Grabbers dye trapping sheets, and they removed much of the fabric dyes, to prevent any color bleeding in future washings.

Quilt Recipient:
My smallest grand-pup, Silas, received this nap quilt. He is 8 years old.
💙🌈In June of 2023, at 11 years old, Silas crossed the rainbow bridge. 🌈💙



Here are links to the 4 other quilts I made for Silas' 3 brothers and 1 sister:

Quilt Summary:
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 31" x 31"
Front piecing: Combination of 4 orphan blocks from 2 previously made quilts. Two borders from leftover fabrics in my stash.
Back: Soft turquoise blue flannel.
Binding: Machine sewn and attached, using leftover binding strips from 3 previously made quilts.
Quilting: Stitched in digital text created in Art & Stitch. I used So Fine 50 Out of the Blue (#433) thread on both the front and back.

Comments