Scrappy Trips-Around-the-World Grid Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.

I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.


Finished size: 
65" x 65"


(click on photos to enlarge)
FINISHED QUILT:



Front piecingThe scrappy multi-trips around the world center of this quilt front is made from more than 1,400 - 1.5" squares arranged in a 36x40 grid, with centered sections on each side replaced by the recipients' names spelled out in 6" tall paper-pieced letters.
Border: The center is surrounded by a 5" border of the vibrant purple, teal and aqua Kaufman Bright Side 108" Wide Back Dandelions Orchid fabric.


BackingThe back of this quilt is a solid piece of the Kaufman Bright Side 108" Wide Back Dandelions Orchid fabric.


Quilt Stitching, Pattern: The quilt is stitched with edge-to-edge "Hearts One", by Wasatch Quilting. I love all the swirls and curved lines of this stitching, as it compliments the checkerboard grids of the Trips-Around-the-World pattern.

Quilt Stitching, Thread (Front): I used a bright purple thread called "Shooting Star" (So Fine 50 #500) for the front of the quilt, to stand out against the bold fabric colors and the silver and gold stars.

Quilt Stitching, Thread (Back): I used a darker, more subdued purple thread called "Purple Iris" (So Fine 50 #441) for the back of the quilt, to blend in a bit more and let the vivid colors of the backing shine.

Label: With the recipients' names in 6" tall letters on the front, I simply embroidered a short sentiment, my initials, and the year directly onto the binding as an abbreviated label.

INSPIRATION:✫
This is a celebratory quilt - to welcome baby Kora into the world, and to congratulate Eva on becoming her big sister! (Eva's favorite color is purple, and baby Kora's nursery is decorated in teal). My hopes are the two sisters will spend much time with their quilt, playing and cuddling together.

PROGRESS PHOTOS:
Construction-Front:
I started by digging through my scraps to find strong, bold colors that would contrast well with the silver & gold stars-on-white fabric I wanted to use in the checkerboard pattern. Most of the fabrics were smaller pieces left over from previous projects I've completed. 

Piecing: I tried a method I've never used before...using iron-on printed grid foundation. There are many brands and types out there, but I first learned about the method on TenSistersTV. The system produces perfectly matched seams every time. 

I found the method a bit cumbersome at first, especially when sewing the many folded rows together...

...but once I got some nice high steam settings working on my iron, I was thrilled with the consistent placement of every 1.5" finished fabric square.

All of the seams line up perfectly!

Quilting:
Before basting down the top to create a quilt sandwich, I first loaded the backing and batting, and floated the top to be sure everything was squared and ready. 

Then I laid out the "Hearts One", by Wasatch Quilting edge-to-edge stitch pattern in my ProStitcher software


First row being quilted...

...and the final of 8 rows total.



This is quilt #75 to be quilted on my Janome QMP-18 long arm since I purchased it in March of 2018.

Trimming:
Squaring up the quilt after removing it from the long arm, readying it to add the binding.

Label:
Before attaching the machine sewn binding to the quilt, I embroidered the label onto the binding fabric using my Brother PE700 embroidery machine.

Binding:
To make the binding, I sewed together many 2.5" wide strips of the same silver-stars-on-white fabric that was used in the checkerboard of the quilt's center front, then pressed them in half.

First attaching the binding strips to the back of the quilt...

...then wrapping the binding around to the quilt front.

Always happy when my mitered binding corners are so cooperative!

 For precise binding seam sewing, I use my Bernina 240's blind hem foot

Washing:
I machine washed the completed quilt twice with dye trapping sheets (I use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers), to absorb the bold colored fabric dyes. 


After washing, the quilt is wonderfully scrunched and soft. It's ready to be cuddled and loved!

QUILT SUMMARY:✫
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 65" x 65"
Front piecing: A scrappy version of Trips-Around-the-World, using a 36x40 grid of more than 1,400 - 1.5" squares, with recipients' names spelled out in 6" tall paper-pieced letters, surrounded by a 5" border of the backing fabric.
Back: A solid piece of the Kaufman Bright Side 108" Wide Back Dandelions Orchid fabric.
BindingThe binding is machine sewn, using the matching silver-star-on-white fabric as in the quilt front.
Quilting: Edge-to-edge "Hearts One", by Wasatch Quilting pattern. Front stitched with Superior Threads' "Shooting Star" (So Fine 50 #500), and back stitched with "Purple Iris" (So Fine 50 #441).

Comments