Quarantine Dog Nap Quilt - #1 of 7

During my "2020 stay at home quarantine time", I created several nap-sized & crate-sized quilts for all 7 of my grand-pups! This is Jaxon's "crumb" quilt.  Finished size: 32" x 34"

πŸ’™πŸŒˆIn December of 2020, at almost 14 years old, Jaxon crossed the rainbow bridge. 
His quilt was cremated with him. πŸŒˆπŸ’™

(click on photos to enlarge)
Quilt Front:
All materials used were remaining fabrics from previously completed projects.

Front Piecing: This quilt top is made using both Mile a Minute Piecing and Improv Piecing techniques. Hundreds of leftover scrap fabric pieces of all sizes and shapes ("crumbs") are joined together into one slab of unique fabric. Sometimes the process is known as "crumb quilting".
Borders: The two borders are leftover yardage pieces I had saved in my fabric stash.

Quilt Back: 
Backing: This is a single sheet of vivid aqua blue flannel that was given to me by a good friend. It was just large enough for this project (3' x 3'), and is super soft for a napping pup.
Binding: I used leftover binding strips from the Cactus Baby Quilt I made earlier this year.

Quilting:
Quilting: Here is the quilt, loaded and ready to be quilted on my Janome QMP18 longarm.
For extra cushion, I used 2 layers of cotton batting.

Quilt Stitching: Following Linda Matteotti's tutorial, I learned how to create digitized text quilting designs in Art & Stitch and import them into my ProStitcher software on my long arm. This was the first time I'd done such a design, and I fell in love with the ability to quilt Jaxon's name onto his own personal nap quilt! I made sure to mirror reverse the image on half of the quilt, so that his name reads correctly either from the front or the back.

Thread: Both the front and the back are quilted on my Janome QMP18 using Out of the Blue So Fine 50 (#433).


Washing: 
As lovely as a finished pieced top can be, I find the true beauty in a quilt happens after the quilting is complete, binding has been added, and then the quilt is washed. It becomes soft, pliable, and is filled with wrinkles and puckers that make it so ready to be loved.


Since this quilt was completed as one of a set of 5, it was washed with 4 other quilts. I used Color Grabbers dye trapping sheets, and they removed much of the fabric dyes, to prevent any color bleeding in future washings.

Quilt Recipient:
My oldest grand-pup, Jaxon, received this nap quilt. He turned 13 years old this past March.
πŸ’™πŸŒˆIn December of 2020, at almost 14 years old, Jaxon crossed the rainbow bridge. 
His quilt was cremated with him. πŸŒˆπŸ’™


Here are links to the 4 other quilts I made for Jaxon's 3 brothers and 1 sister:

Quilt Summary:
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 32" x 34"
Front piecing: "Crumb" piecing, using both Mile a Minute Piecing and Improv Piecing techniques. Two borders from leftover fabrics in my stash.
Back: Soft aqua blue flannel.
Binding: Machine sewn and attached, using leftover binding strips from previously made Cactus Baby Quilt.
Quilting: Stitched in digital text created in Art & Stitch. I used So Fine 50 Out of the Blue (#433) thread on both the front and back.

Comments