Dog Napping Quilt (#8 of 9)

This nap-sized "orphan block" quilt was made for Lyle, the newest member of my grand-pup bunch. He was just born in March of 2021, so he'll be cuddling with his lil' quilt for a long time!


Finished size
: 37" x 36"



(click on photos to enlarge)
Quilt Front:
All materials used were remaining fabrics from previously completed projects.
Front Piecing: To build this top, I combined (4) full orphan blocks and (7) half-blocks left over from the Flannel Pinwheel lap quilt made previously, plus embroidered blocks made from remaining backing fabric of the ROYGBIV Improv quilt I made in 2020. 

Quilt Back:
BackingThe backing fabric is a sweet print called Susybee Lewe the Ewe. It is leftover from the Sheep Quilted Wall Hanging I made in 2019.

Embroidering:
Using my Brother PE700 embroidery machine, I personalized the two top corner blocks with my grandpup's name and birthdate.

Quilting:

Quilting: Here is the quilt, loaded and being quilted on my Janome QMP18 longarm
BattingI used scrap pieces of batting leftover from prior quilts. I overlapped the batting layers slightly and carefully to avoid any lumps or bumps.



Quilt Stitching: I used "Puppy Love" edge-to-edge pattern from My Creative Stitches.

It stitched out beautifully!

Thread: The front is quilted with Purple Iris So Fine 50 (#441) and the back is quilted using Out of the Blue So Fine 50 (#433).

Binding:
Binding: I used leftover binding strips from (2) prior made quilts: the Flannel Pinwheel Lap quilt, and the Colorful Memorial Quilt.

 First attaching the binding strips to the back of the quilt...

...then wrapping the binding around to the quilt front.

 For precise binding seam sewing, I use my Bernina 240's blind hem foot

Washing:
As nice as a finished quilt top can turn out, I think the true beauty in a quilt happens after the quilting is complete, binding has been added, and the quilt is washed. It becomes soft, pliable, and is filled with wrinkles and puckers that make it ready to be used and loved. When washing, I used Color Grabbers dye trapping sheets to remove much of the fabric dyes,  preventing any color bleeding in future washings.

Quilt Recipient:
My youngest, newest grand-pup, Lyle, with his personalized nap quilt. 



Here are links to 5 other quilts I made for Lyle's 4 brothers and 1 sister:

And here are 2 more crate quilts I made for Lyle's dog cousins:

Quilt Summary:
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 37" x 36"
Front piecing: Combination of orphan blocks and embroidered blocks made from 2 previously completed quilts. 
Back: Sweet cotton print called Susybee Lewe the Ewe.
Binding: Machine sewn and attached, using leftover binding strips from 2 previously made quilts.
Quilting: Stitched in "Puppy Love" edge-to-edge pattern from My Creative Stitches. I used So Fine 50 Purple Iris (#441) on the front and So Fine 50 Out of the Blue (#433) thread on the back.

Comments