Blue & Gray Scrappy Baby Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 45" x 55"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 


Front piecing: I made 80 scrappy "splits blocks" from 5" squares, then joined them together into (20) 4-patches, creating a pinwheel effect.
Border: I used an 8" Dresden ruler to create wedges for the scrappy wedged border

Backing: The backing fabric is an awesome cotton print of blue skies and white fluffy clouds, called "Beach Haven" by Timeless Treasures.

Both the front and back are quilted with Genoa Gray thread (So Fine 50 #503) in a "Repeat Star Edge-to-Edge" stitch pattern.


Using my Brother PE700 embroidery machine, I embroidered the baby's name and year on one of the quilt's curved border corners.

I machine washed this colorful quilt with dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers). After washing, the quilt is soft, wrinkly, and ready to be used and loved for years!

And a little something extra...I made 4 burp cloths (from the quilt's leftover fabric), by following Apple Green Cottage's tutorial.

The quilt and burp cloths ready to be gifted.

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
Chain-piecing the 80 scrappy "splits blocks" from 5" squares, then trimming them all down, squaring them up, and joining them together into 4-patch pinwheels.

Design wall progression - it's important to be able to see all of the scrappy colors laid out together, so rearranging can happen easily.

Stitching the "Repeat Star Edge-to-Edge" pattern on my Janome QMP 18.

Really happy with the loops and stars as they're being stitched - it looks like they're dancing across all of the different colored fabrics!

I always like to take a long arm picture stitching out the first row...and then the last!

To make sure the binding would easily go around the curved edges, I made a continuous bias binding from a bold blue fabric that is covered in white stars.

Attaching the binding strips to the back of the quilt...and then finishing by wrapping the binding around and stitching it onto the front.

Love how a binding cut on the bias wraps itself effortlessly around the curved corners!
Attaching the continuous bias binding using the blind hem foot on my Bernina 240.

I washed this quilt with dye catchers twice, to let the dye trapping sheets remove as much of the fabric dyes as possible, especially the blues. Goal is to prevent any color bleeding in this quilt's many, many future washings! (I use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers).

+++++++ Quilt Recipient: +++++++ 
Made in the colors and theme that match the bedroom of a baby boy that will be joining us in a few short weeks - Mom loves it!

And here is baby Zen with his quilt and his monogrammed stuffed blocks I also made for him:

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 45" x 55"
Front piecing80 scrappy "splits blocks" made from 5" squares, then joined together into (20) 4-patches, creating a pinwheel effect.
Border: A scrappy wedged border using an 8" Dresden ruler.
Back: Backing fabric is a cotton print of blue skies and white clouds, called "Beach Haven" by Timeless Treasures.
Bindingcontinuous bias binding is made from a cotton of navy and white stars.
Quilting: Used the "Repeat Star Edge-to-Edge" pattern. Both the front and back are quilted with Genoa Gray thread (So Fine 50 #503).

Comments

Post a Comment