New York Beauty Batik Lap Quilt


I machine pieced and paper-pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 46" x 60"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 
 There are 27 New York Beauty blocks that encompass the front of this lap quilt.

The inset border on the front, the backing, and the matching binding are all from a gorgeous mottled green batik fabric.

Used off-white thread on the front and chocolate brown thread on the back.

To avoid taking any attention away from the New York Beauty blocks, I chose to quilt in a broad, sweeping "Snail Square" pattern, using an off-white top thread that blends in with the creme and ivory background blocks.

+++++++ New York Beauty blocks: +++++++






+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
Paper-piecing the tiny pieces of batik scraps takes patience - and lots of pins!

The progression of the blocks being arranged and re-arranged on my design wall.

Getting there...creme and ivory background blocks now surround the colorful beauties!

Last steps before going onto the long arm: adding the narrow inset border and the other half of the outside background blocks - took some "math-ing" to get everything to work!

Sandwich of floating top, batting and backing are being edge-to-edge quilted on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Sewing on the binding using my blind hem foot (#5) on my Bernina 240.


+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 


*Birthday gift for my youngest daughter, made per her request

I machine pieced and paper-pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 46" x 60"
Front piecing: Twenty-seven 6.5" New York Beauty blocks were made using batik scraps. The surrounding background is comprised of scrappy creme and ivory blocks.
Inner Border: Narrow inset border of green batik (Timeless Treasures Jewel Posey) dissecting the outer layer of creme and ivory blocks.
Back: Beautiful green batik (Timeless Treasures Jewel Posey).
Binding: Machine sewn with the same green batik fabric matching backing.
QuiltingQuilted in a large edge-to-edge pattern called "Snail Square". Used off-white thread on the front and chocolate brown thread on the back.


Comments