Blue & Yellow Sampler Couch Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.

I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 60" x 60"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++  


Front piecingThirteen scrappy blocks made in blue, yellow and white fabrics, using "Bright Hopes Sampler" pattern. The blocks are laid out on pointe, with 8 side setting triangles and 4 corner setting triangles.

BackThe backing is a bold green wide cotton blender called “Clover”. 
Normally I make backings to coordinate with the quilt front. But in this case, I wanted the quilt to be completely reversible, with a patterned side and a solid side. The color selection was actually quite strategic: The blues and yellows on the front represent Florida sunshine, blue skies and our east coast Atlantic waters. The green on the back represents Florida's lush year-round greenery.

To contrast the quilt piecing's straight lines, I used the "Feather Delight" quilting pattern. I used daffodil yellow thread on the front, and light blue thread on the back. The backing thread color actually worked out beautifully - it contrasted just enough to show off the quilting stitching perfectly.

After being machine washed twice with dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers), the quilt is soft and wonderfully wrinkled, ready to be used!

I embroidered the quilt's label right onto the binding.

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
Here's the evolution of this quilt's layout. I was going for size, so instead of laying the blocks out in a standard grid, I placed them on pointe with setting triangles in coordinating yellow fabrics. Then the 5" border gave the layout the cohesiveness it needed.

Once piecing the top was complete, I used my Brother PE700 embroidery machine to applique a bright Florida sun(Although it appears to be randomly located, I placed this applique strategically, to reinforce a narrow seam allowance.)

The backing and batting are loaded, and the top is floating on my Janome QMP18 long arm, with edge-to-edge "Feather Delight" stitching pattern being quilted.

So happy since I bought my long arm back in March, 2018. This finish makes quilt #48!

Again using my Brother PE700 embroidery machine, this time to embroider the quilt's label on the binding fabric strips. The binding fabric is a gorgeous royal blue pattern called "Sedona Wave".

Binding:
I machine bind almost every quilt I make. I found a couple tutorials that helped me learn to get a really nice finish with a machine-sewn binding:

First attaching the binding strip to the back of the quilt...

...then wrapping it around to the quilt front.

When attaching the binding on the front, I always switch to my blind hem foot on my domestic machine (Bernina 240) to get a close and precise stitch.

After washing, the dye trapping sheets removed a lot of the blue and green fabric dyes, hoping to prevent any color bleeding in future washings! (I use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers).


+++++++ Quilt Recipient: +++++++ 
Washed and ready to be given to my neighbor as a going away gift. After being born and raised, living, working and eventually retiring in Florida, she's moving to South Carolina to be near family. I hope the quilt's colors will always remind her of Florida's sunshine, blue skies, gorgeous ocean waters and lush year-round greenery.

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 60" x 60"
Front piecingThirteen scrappy blocks made in blue, yellow and white fabrics, using "Bright Hopes Sampler" pattern. The blocks are laid out on pointe, with 8 side setting triangles and 4 corner setting triangles.
Back: Bold green wide cotton blender called “Clover”
Binding: Machine sewn and attached, gorgeous royal blue pattern called "Sedona Wave".
Label: I embroidered the label directly onto the quilt's binding. This has become my preferred method of labeling a quilt.
Quilting: Used the soft "Feather Delight" quilting pattern. I used So Fine 50 (#420) daffodil yellow thread on the front, and So Fine 50 (#435) light blue thread on the back.

Comments