Dog Napping Quilt #9

This nap-sized "wonky log cabin" quilt was made for Toni, the newest member of my grand-pup bunch. She was born in the spring of 2022, so she'll be cuddling with her lil' quilt for a long time!


Finished size:
38" x 38"



(click on photos to enlarge)
🐶QUILT FRONT:🐶
All materials used were scraps and leftover fabrics from previously completed projects.


Front Piecing: To build this top, I first made a 9"x9" improv color block (like I made previously in this Rainbow Quilt) and then began attaching strips around the square in a wonky log cabin effect. After the quilt center reached about 28"x28", I then added a scrappy, brown & pink, 5" wide piano key border.

🐶QUILT BACK:🐶


BackingThe backing fabric is a lovely fabric I purchased at an estate sale, called "Folk Art" by Whimsicals for Four Corner Designs/AE Nathan. Its rich brown tone is just beautiful, like Toni's lovely brown colors.

🐶LABELING:🐶
Using my Brother PE700 embroidery machine, I labeled my grandpup's name and the year I made this quilt right onto the binding.

🐶CONSTRUCTION:🐶
I pulled completely from scraps and strips leftover from other completed projects to make this quilt, both for the center and the piano key borders.

If scraps weren't long enough, I'd join several pieces together to make strips of adequate lengths.

I used very lightweight cotton as a foundation for the piano key border strips. I sewed the strips to the back (lighter side) of the fabric, and then stay-stitched both edges before trimming off the extra bits. This keeps the borders from becoming misshapen when being pulled on the longarm while quilting takes place, and it helps me to keep the strips straight and parallel when I'm sewing them together.

The progression of the quilt as the piano key borders are added to the wonky log cabin center.

🐶QUILTING:🐶
BattingI used scrap pieces of batting leftover from prior quilts. I overlap the batting layers slightly and carefully and then baste into place on the longarm, right onto the already loaded backing, to avoid any shifting or lumps.

Quilting: Here is the quilt, backing and batting loaded and the top floated, ready to be quilted on my Janome QMP18 longarm


Quilt Stitching: I used "Puppy Love" edge-to-edge pattern from My Creative Stitches.



It stitched out beautifully!

Thread: The front is quilted with Aster (So Fine 50 #462) and the back is quilted using Gerbera Daisy (So Fine 50 #495).

🐶TRIMMING:🐶

🐶BINDING:🐶
Binding: I used leftover binding strips from a prior made quilt: African Safari Lap quilt.

First attaching the binding strips to the back of the quilt...

...then wrapping the binding around to the quilt front.

 For precise binding seam sewing, I use my Bernina 240's blind hem foot

🐶WASHING:🐶

🐶🐶🐶
🐶Quilt Recipient:🐶
My youngest, newest grand-pup, Toni, with her very own nap quilt. 

🐶🐶🐶

Here are links to other quilts I made for Toni's 3 brothers:

And here are 2 more crate quilts I made for Toni's dog cousins:

QUILT SUMMARY:
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 38" x 38"
Front piecing: Wonky log-cabin surrounded by piano key border, all in pinks and browns.
Back: Rich brown cotton called "Folk Art" by Whimsicals for Four Corner Designs/AE Nathan.
Binding: Machine sewn and attached, using leftover binding strips from a previously made quilt.
Quilting: Stitched in "Puppy Love" edge-to-edge pattern from My Creative Stitches. I used Aster (So Fine 50 #462) on the front and Gerbera Daisy (So Fine 50 #495) on the back.


Comments