Christmas Wreath Couch Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 60" x 72"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 

Front piecing: This quilt is a scrappier version of Pieced Brain's "Bows & Bells" pattern. I used as many Christmas scraps and fat quarters as I had in my stash, and I used white fabric with silver and gold stars for the background. I made the sashings wider than the pattern called for, so I decided not to have an outer border. I also appliqued red and green bows on all the wreaths, rather than half with bows and half with bells.

Backing: A lovely Christmas holly print called "Frosted Holiday-Sprigs" by Wilmington.

I embroidered this quilt's label onto corresponding fabric and placed it on the back in a bottom corner.

Both the front and back are stitched with Genoa Gray thread (So Fine 50 #503) in "Karen's Holly" pattern by IntelligentQuilting.

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++ 
As usual, I made a few changes to the pattern. I guess I just have to "personalize" it.

Trimming some of the many HST's that make the wreaths.

Arranging the scrappy wreath blocks on my design wall.

I appliqued the bows using my Brother PE-700, and also embroidered the label on the same machine.

`
 Pictures of the quilt's first row being stitched on my long arm...and the last!

Edge-to-edge stitching on my Janome QMP18 in "Karen's Holly" pattern by IntelligentQuilting.

I machine bind almost every quilt I make. I found a couple tutorials that helped me learn to get a really nice finish with a machine-sewn binding:
Easy Quilt Binding
Machine Bind Your Quilts


Attaching the binding strips to the back of the quilt...


...and then finishing by stitching the binding onto the front, using my blind hem foot on my domestic machine (Bernina 240).

The binding fabric is a beautiful red with gold metallic scrolls, called "Elegant Christmas" by Blank Quilting. I used this same fabric in some of the wreaths on the quilt, too.

+++++++ Quilt Recipient: +++++++ 
I made this for a woman who befriended me when I was a young, brand new mom and had nobody to help me, over 30 years ago! My husband was clueless and I lived states away from any family support. She took me under her wing and helped me, supported me, included me in her family's life and inspired me with her own mothering skills. She's someone I'll always be grateful to.

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 60" x 72"
Front piecing: A scrappier version of Pieced Brain's "Bows & Bells" pattern, with wider sashings and appliqued bows on all 16 wreaths.
BackA lovely Christmas holly print called "Frosted Holiday-Sprigs" by Wilmington.
Binding: I machine sewed the binding using a gorgeous red and gold fabric, "Elegant Christmas" by Blank Quilting.
Quilting: Edge-to-edge stitching of "Karen's Holly" pattern by IntelligentQuilting on my Janome QMP18 long arm. Both the front and back are quilted with Genoa Gray thread (So Fine 50 #503).



Comments