Quarantine Dog Crate Quilt - #7 of 7

During my "2020 stay at home quarantine time", I created several nap-sized & crate-sized quilts for all 7 of my grand-pups! This is Winnie's crate-sized quilt.

Finished size: 33" x 43"



(click on photos to enlarge)
QUILT FRONT:
All materials used were remaining fabrics from previously completed projects.


Front Piecing: For the center of this quilt, I used Bonnie Hunter's Unity Medallion pattern with a narrow 1" border of colorful flip-flop fabric from Timeless Treasures' Paradise line
I then surrounded the medallion by making (16) Exploding Blocks from Missouri Star Quilt Company, and added one more narrow border of the flip-flop fabric.
To finish and lengthen the quilt, I built a top and bottom border by vertically joining together scrappy 2.5" wide strips left from various prior projects, and also placed some full-length strips on each side of the quilt's center.


QUILT BACK:

BackingThe scrappy backing is made from a fun piece of limes & stripes fabric that was in my stash, joined to piece of yardage leftover after creating borders for my previously made Dinosaur Youth Quilt.

QUILTING:

Quilting: Here is the quilt, loaded vertically and being quilted on my Janome QMP18 long arm. I used 2 layers of cotton batting for extra cushion. 




Quilt StitchingFollowing Linda Matteotti's tutorial, I created a circular wheel of text in Art & Stitch. After I imported the design into my ProStitcher software, I laid out rows of the wheel pattern, so that Winnie's name could be quilted in one row at the top section of the quilt, and in another row at the bottom. I made sure some of the quilting was mirror reversed, so that her name was readable from either the front or the back of the quilt.

Quilting: To fill in the center of the quilt, I stitched My Creative Stitches' edge-to-edge Puppy Love design.

QuiltingAnd along each side, I quilted two narrow borders of interlocking herringbone stitches.

Thread: The front of the quilt is stitched in Spring Green (So Fine 50 #450).

 ThreadThe back is quilted using Fern (So Fine 50 #445).


BINDING:
When machine binding, I first attach the binding strips to the back of the quilt...

...and then wrap the binding around to the quilt front.

I use the blind hem foot on my Bernina 240 to have a nice, even and close stitch edge.
The bright flip-flop binding fabric is from Timeless Treasures' Paradise line.


WASHING:
Once the quilting is done, and the binding is added, it's time to wash the quilt using Color Grabbers dye trapping sheets. Many of the fabric dyes are removed, and the finished quilt is soft, scrunchy and comfy, ready to be used and loved for many years.


QUILT RECIPIENT:
This quilt was made for Winnie, my Atlanta granddaughter-puppy. She's almost 6 months old, and such a smart little girl, with unbelievably soft fur!

And here is the link to the quilt I made for Winnie's brother, Boomer:

QUILT SUMMARY:
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size33" x 43"
Front piecingBonnie Hunter's Unity Medallion pattern, surrounded by (16) Exploding Blocks from Missouri Star Quilt Company, and scrappy striped top and bottom borders.
Back: Scrappy, made from a piece of limes & stripes fabric and a piece of yardage leftover after creating borders for my previously made Dinosaur Youth Quilt.
Binding: Machine sewn and attached, using Timeless Treasures' Paradise line flip-flop fabric.
Quilting: Stitched a digital text wheel of Winnie's name that I created in Art & Stitch, as well as My Creative Stitches' edge-to-edge Puppy Love design, and some interlocking herringbones along each side border. I used Spring Green (So Fine 50 #450) thread on the front, and Fern (So Fine 50 #445) thread on the back.

Comments