Bluebird Lap Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 46" x 58"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 

The front is pieced in a modified layout of Swirly Girl's "Perfect Ten" pattern. I fussy cut "Bluebird" fabric from Jennifer Brinley for Studio E, then used scraps and fat quarters from my stash to complete the top.

The backing is pieced with some of the same tone on tone green print from the front, called "This n That" by Nancy Halvorsen for Benartex, plus a few fat quarters from my and my friend's stash.

I wanted the beautiful fabrics to be the focus, so I used the lovely and swirly "Ginger Snap" quilting pattern as a compliment. I used daffodil yellow thread on the front, and spring green thread on the back.

After being machine washed twice with dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers), the quilt is soft and beautifully puckered and wrinkled.

I embroidered a subtle label and placed it on the lower left front of the quilt, using the same exact fabric as that portion of the quilt's pieced design.

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
The original pattern, Swirly Girl's "Perfect Ten", calls for 10 fat quarters. But I wanted the fussy-cut bluebird fabrics to be framed and result in a 12.5" square, plus I wanted to eliminate the 6" outer border. So I adjusted the size of the pattern pieces to make them larger, and used scraps in addition to some fat quarters.

Laying out cut up yardage, fat-quarter pieces and fabric scraps, looking for the right color combinations.

Things didn't seem to be in balance (left). I took apart the pieced top, swapped the light blue and dark blue framed blocks, and then it worked (right).

Preparing fabrics for the pieced backing.

The backing and batting are loaded, and the top is floating on my Janome QMP18 long arm, with edge-to-edge flourishy "Ginger Snap" being quilted.

Just love how Intelligent Quilting's "Ginger Snap" is stitching out!

 The binding is all folded around from the back, mitered and pinned into place, being attached with my Bernina 240 using the blind hem foot.


+++++++ Quilt Recipient: +++++++ 
This message from the quilt's recipient reinforces why I try to use my quilts to spread kindness and love: 
"I have received the most beautiful, touching gift in the mail. A dear woman, who I know through our mutual experience with the devastating pregnancy illness preeclampsia and my “Field of Cradles” exhibit, made a blue bird quilt for me so that I would always know that I’m thought of and cared for by many. She didn’t even know how much I adore quilts and blue birds! I was moved to tears by this generous, loving gesture. When others tell me that I am strong I say: I’m being carried by so much love. Today I snuggled under my bluebird quilt, resting and writing, while my body absorbed yesterday’s treatment. I’m a lucky, blessed woman".

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 46" x 58"
Front piecing: I modified Swirly Girl's "Perfect Ten" pattern by increasing many of the block sizes and eliminating the 6" outer border. I fussy cut "Bluebird" fabric from Jennifer Brinley for Studio E, then used scraps and fat quarters from my stash to complete the top.
BackThe backing is pieced with some of the same green print from the front, called "This n That" by Nancy Halvorsen for Benartex, plus a few fat quarters from my and my friend's stash.
BindingThe binding is folded over from the back and attached via sewing machine. 
Label: I embroidered a label and added it to the front left bottom corner, using the same fabric as that portion of the pieced quilt top.
Quilting: Used the lovely and swirly Intelligent Quilting's "Ginger Snap" quilting pattern. I used So FIne (#420) daffodil yellow thread on the front, and So Fine (#450) spring green thread on the back.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! You were one of the people that encouraged my dabbling to grow into producing! 😉

      Delete

Post a Comment