LEGO Scrappy Oversized Couch Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 57" x 57"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 

Front piecing: This entire quilt is made from scrappy 1.5" and 2" wide strips pieced in the LEGO pattern. Finished blocks are 12": There are 24 whole blocks and 16 half-blocks/triangles arranged together on pointe.

The backing is a gold fabric patterned with ivory zentangling (reads almost as a solid from a distance) called "Overgrown" by designer Alison Glass for Andover.

Because of the sharp, straight edges of the scrappy fabric strips, I decided to use the rounded "Circle Meander" quilting pattern. I used light blue thread on the front, and chocolate brown thread on the back.

I embroidered the label directly onto the binding. Loving how it looks with this quilt! The binding fabric is a gorgeous royal blue pattern called "Sedona Wave".

I machine washed this very colorful quilt three times with dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers), since it has so many bright, colorful fabrics. After washings, the quilt is soft and beautifully puckered and wrinkled.

Here is the quilt with its loved ones, where it was made to be!

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
Piecing together 1.5" and 2" wide fabric scraps into 12" strips and then into 12" blocks, following the LEGO pattern.

The first 8 completed LEGO blocks. 

After 18 whole and 14 half-blocks/triangles were laid out, I decided the quilt was not yet large enough, so I made even more blocks.

The final layout ended up being 24 whole 12" blocks and 16 half-blocks/triangles.

Loaded on my Janome QMP18 long arm, having "Circle Meander" quilted edge-to-edge.

The round circular stitching perfectly compliments the rectangular scrappy strips.

Before attaching the machine sewn binding to the quilt, I embroidered the label onto the binding fabric using my Brother PE700 embroidery machine.

Attaching the binding with my Bernina 240 using my blind hem foot
This quilt doesn't have the four standard 90-degree corners, so I ended up having to bind around 8 odd angles, instead.

+++++++ Quilt Recipient: +++++++ 
Made for a dear family with three wonderful kiddos I adore. Their mom told me: "I'm still just so incredibly speechless! And the pictures really do not begin to do it justice! It's like the bright pop of cheer in our home that we didn't even realize was missing. <3 The kids absolutely adore this treasure from 'our friend Ms. Angela'. [Oldest daughter] is snuggled up in it right now".

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 57" x 57"
Front piecingFinished blocks are 12": There are 24 whole blocks and 16 half-blocks/triangles arranged together on pointe. This entire quilt is made from scrappy 1.5" and 2" wide strips pieced in the LEGO pattern.
Back: Lovely gold fabric patterned with ivory zentangling called "Overgrown" by designer Alison Glass for Andover.
Binding: Machine sewn, gorgeous royal blue pattern called "Sedona Wave". Label is embroidered directly onto the binding fabric.
Quilting: Used "Circle Meander" quilting pattern to compliment the sharp, straight edges of the scrappy fabric strips. Light blue thread on the front, and chocolate brown thread on the back.


Comments