Pink, Purple & Teal Youth TV Quilt


I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 49" x 58"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 
Front piecing: Quilt's center is 49 - 7" squares pieced and joined together in the Crossroads pattern.  A 2" border of pink and purple floral fabric is surrounded by a double-row of half-square triangles on two ends of the quilt, and scrappy 7" x 2.5" blocks on the other two sides.

The backing is a colorful, extremely soft organic cotton by Robert Kaufman called "Pick a Bunch".

The quilting pattern is an airy edge-to-edge called "Daisy Marie". It stitches out very easily and gives great coverage.

The front and back are both quilted in Pearl So Fine 50 (#402) thread.

The label is the recipient's name and date embroidered onto a folded piece of fabric, (with my signature in fabric ink above) tucked into a corner of the scrappy binding.

After machine washing twice with dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers), the quilt is wrinkly and wonderfully soft. Here it is wrapped up with a ribbon and ready to be gifted to its new owner!

This Pink, Purple & Teal Youth TV Quilt was made for a 9-year-old girl, and I made a quilt for her twin brother at the same time, too! 

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
As I create the Crossroads blocks, I discover each corner provides a leftover half-square triangle that can be used to build borders!

Squaring up 98 - 2.5" half-square triangles.

Laying out all the half-square triangles to see how they'll measure up for borders.

When laying out the quilt top to measure for batting, I found I could sew three leftover batting strips together vertically to make one solid bat for this quilt. I've done this before, and end results are perfect: stands up to washings, lays smooth, and is not at all perceptible once the quilt is completed.

Edge-to-edge "Daisy Marie" being stitched on my Janome QMP18 long arm.

The binding is all folded around from the back, mitered and clipped into place, ready for the sewing machine.

Attaching the vivid binding on my Bernina 240 using my blind hem foot 

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 49" x 58"
Front piecingQuilt's center is 49 - 7" squares pieced and joined together in the Crossroads pattern.  
BorderA 2" border of pink and purple floral fabric is surrounded by a double-row of half-square triangles on two ends of the quilt, and scrappy 7" x 2.5" blocks on the other two sides.
Back: A bold, colorful, extremely soft organic cotton by Robert Kaufman called "Pick a Bunch".
BindingThe binding is folded over from the back and attached via sewing machine. Label is a piece of folded fabric, signed and embroidered, tucked into a corner with the binding.
QuiltingQuilted in an edge-to-edge pattern called "Daisy Marie". Used Pearl thread on both the front and the back.


Comments