Black & White "I Spy" Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 53" x 73"

(click on photos to enlarge)
Finished quilt details:

Front piecing: The center of the quilt is 30 blocks, each made up of 3 strips of fabric. The blocks are surrounded by racing flag sashing that alternates sides and directions around each block within each row.
After a 1" black inner border, 60 more 4" novelty fabric blocks create a colorful frame, followed by one more 1" black border, and then a final 3.5" white border, complete with racing flag cornerstones.

Backing: Per the recipient's request, the backing is cotton fabric covered in kitty-cats!

I embroidered this quilt's label directly onto one of the quilt blocks before I sandwiched and quilted - I wanted it to be very discreet.

Stitching is the "Circle Meander" pattern. It's a great quilting stitch - no abrupt direction changes, no overstitching.

Both the front and back are stitched with black thread (Superior Threads So Fine 50 #411).

I machine washed this very colorful quilt twice, using dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers). After washing, the quilt is wrinkly and soft, ready to be loved.

There are over 160 different objects on this quilt. I made some quick paper flashcards and included them with the quilt so its recipient can play "I Spy" and have fun beginning to read at the same time.

And a little something extra...a matching pillowcase I made following Alanda Craft's tutorial.

Progress photos:
I began neatly designing the layout using my computer...but my planning ended with a messy sketch and almost indecipherable notes.


I had a lot of fun going through all of the scraps and strips of novelty fabric I've collected or have received from friends to create the quilt's final layout.

 Long arm pictures of the quilt's first row being stitched...and the last!

Edge-to-edge stitching in the "Circle Meander" pattern on my Janome QMP18.

Attaching the binding strips using the blind hem foot on my Bernina 240.


Quilt Recipient:
I made this colorful "I Spy" quilt for a 4-year-old boy. His mom is going through a divorce, and she's struggling with the idea of having to be a single parent to her son. (I've been there). So I gifted this quilt to him - to both of them - and am so happy it brought them a little bit of joy when they received it. It brings me happiness if something I've created can bring a smile to someone.

Quilt Summary:
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 53" x 73"
Front piecingThe center of the quilt is 30 blocks, each made up of 3 strips of fabric surrounded by sashing that alternates sides and directions around each block in each row.
Then 60 more 4" novelty fabric blocks create a colorful frame, followed by two more borders. These 90 blocks include more than 160 different objects, ready to play "I Spy"!
Back: Coordinating colors of cotton fabric covered in kitty-cats, per the recipient's request.
Binding: I made the binding from the same black cotton fabric as the quilt's inner borders.
Quilting: Edge-to-edge stitching of "Circle Meander" pattern on my Janome QMP18 long arm. Both the front and back are quilted with black thread (So Fine 50 #411).



Comments