Quarantine Dog Crate Quilt - #6 of 7

During my "2020 stay at home quarantine time", I created several nap-sized & crate-sized quilts for all 7 of my grand-pups! This crate-sized quilt was made for Boomer.

Finished size: 33" x 41"



(click on photos to enlarge)
QUILT FRONT: 
All materials used were remaining fabrics from previously completed projects.


Front PiecingI combined two different block methods while piecing this quilt front. First I built (8) Twisted Log Cabin blocks (8" each), and then added a 7" wide vertical side-border inspired by the Bounce pattern. I joined the two vertical sections with a strip of orange polka-dotted fabric left over from the Cactus Baby Quilt I made earlier this year.

Chain piecing strips to build the Twisted Log Cabin blocks.

Laying out the fabric strips to build the vertical Bounce border.

QUILT BACK:

BackingThe backing is a gorgeous royal blue fabric called "Sedona Wave". It was a large enough piece of yardage leftover after backing my previously made Winter Sampler Couch Quilt.

QUILTING:
Quilting: Here is the quilt, loaded vertically and ready to be quilted on my Janome QMP18 long arm. For extra cushion, I used 2 layers of cotton batting.

Quilt Stitching: For the very first time, I learned how to trace a background photo in Art & Stitch to create a quiltable "picture". I used Boomer's handsome portrait. Then I imported it into my ProStitcher software on my long arm, and strategically stitched Boomer's "selfie" in each center of a 4-patch of the Twisted Log Cabin blocks

Quilting: To fill in around the portraits, I stitched the left side of the quilt with My Creative Stitches' edge-to-edge Puppy Love design.

Quilting: To quilt the right side of the quilt, I removed it from the long arm, rotated the quilt and reattached it horizontally, so that I only needed to complete 3 long rows of stitching.

 Along that right side, I quilted Sweet Dreams Quilt Studio's Boomerang Border. (Boomer's name comes from the word "boomerang", because he was a rescue that was returned as a puppy, and my daughter & son-in-law scooped him right up!)

Thread: The front of the quilt is stitched in Genoa Gray (So Fine 50 #503).

Thread: The satin stitching framing Boomer's "portraits" is stitched with It's A Boy (So Fine 50 #435).

 ThreadThe back is quilted using Genoa Gray (So Fine 50 #503).


BINDING:
 Attaching the binding strips, first to the back, then wrapping around to the front to finish.


Machine attaching the binding to the front using the blind hem foot on my Bernina 240.

WASHING: 
Once the quilting is done, and the binding is added, it's time to wash the quilt using Color Grabbers dye trapping sheets. Much of the dark fabric dyes get removed, and the finished quilt  is wonderfully wrinkled and soft, ready to be loved and used for many years.

QUILT RECIPIENT:
This quilt was made for Boomer, my Atlanta grandson-puppy. He's almost 6 months old and already weighs over 60 pounds! 

And here is the link to the quilt I made for Boomer's sister, Winnie:

QUILT SUMMARY: 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size33" x 41"
Front piecing(8) Twisted Log Cabin blocks with an added vertical 7" side-border inspired by the Bounce pattern. 
Back: Royal blue fabric called "Sedona Wave", leftover after backing my previously made Winter Sampler Couch Quilt.
Binding: Machine sewn and attached, using more "Sedona Wave" fabric.
Quilting: Stitched a digital "photo" I created in Art & Stitch, as well as My Creative Stitches' edge-to-edge Puppy Love design, and Sweet Dreams Quilt Studio's Boomerang BorderI used Genoa Gray (So Fine 50 #503) thread on the front and back, and It's A Boy (So Fine 50 #435) to satin stitch frames around the "portraits" of Boomer.

Comments