Pastel Sampler Youth Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 52" x 61"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 

Front piecing:  Nine blocks made in pastel batik fabrics, using Open Gate's "Saving Grace" sampler pattern. In between blocks there are star sashings, using the same fabric as the quilt's borders. 

Back: Mint green solid Kona cotton, with a diagonally pieced fabric strip matching the front sashing and borders.

Block centers are quilted in Genoa Gray (So Fine 50 #503). Sashing and borders are quilted with Purple Iris (So Fine 50 #441). 

Instead of an edge-to-edge stitch, I did a little more custom quilting on this one:
Block centers: "Lemon Leaves" stitch pattern (in gray)

Sashing: "Simple Vine" stitch pattern (in purple)

Side Borders: "Orange Peel" stitch pattern (in purple)

Top and Bottom Borders: "Piano Key Swag" stitch pattern (in purple)

And I made a matching pillowcase following Alanda Craft's tutorial.

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
My backing fabric was not quite wide enough, so I pieced a diagonal back, adding an insert of border fabric from the front into the Kona solid on the back.

I also pieced unused batting strips together to create the inner portion of the quilt sandwich.

The backing and batting are loaded, and the top is floating on my Janome QMP18 long arm, ready to be stitched with some custom quilting.

Using purple thread to stitch the borders and sashing.

Using gray thread to stitch the individual blocks.

Attaching the binding with my Bernina 240 using the blind hem foot.

I machine washed this quilt with dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers). After washing, the quilt is puckered and wrinkled and soft.

+++++++ Quilt Recipient: +++++++ 
Donated to Quilts for International Missions - Bolivia Children's Home

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 52" x 61"
Front piecing: Pastel batik fabrics. Nine blocks from Open Gate's "Saving Grace" sampler pattern. Sashing in between blocks is made from the same gray fabric as the quilt's borders. 
BackThe backing is a mint green Kona solid, with a diagonally pieced fabric strip matching the front sashing and borders.
BindingThe binding is machine sewn, from the same Kona solid mint green as the backing.
Quilting: Custom quilted with four different ProStitcher patterns. I used So Fine 50 Genoa Gray (So Fine 50 #503) on the individual sampler blocks, and Purple Iris (So Fine 50 #441) in sashings and borders. 

Comments

  1. I really dig the diagonal piecing for the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns 44" into 54" with only a little bit of extra fabric!

      Delete

Post a Comment