Winter Birds Table Runner

I machine pieced this table runner on my Bernina 240, and quilted it on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.


Finished size: 9" x 83"
(click on photos to enlarge)
🐧FINISHED RUNNER:🐧



Front Piecing:
Per my daughter's request (since this is for her house's entry table) this table runner has winter birds: 4 penguins and 5 robins! The robins are patchworked using a pattern purchased from Jen's Arbor, and the penguins are a patchwork pattern I purchased from OlesyaLebedenkoDsgn. I used all scraps and fat quarters from my (and my friend's) stash to create this runner.

Stitching:
Pattern: I chose a great stitch pattern from Intelligent Quilting called "Ginger Snap". Reminded me of swirling wintery winds.

🐧PROGRESS PHOTOS:🐧
Construction-Front:
Thanks to a gracious quilting friend and her plentiful stash, I had several off-white and neutral fabric scraps to choose from while creating this (and all!) of my daughter's holiday table runners.

To make the patchwork robins, I purchased a pattern from Jen's Arbor.

To make the patchwork penguins, I purchased a pattern from OlesyaLebedenkoDsgn. I used embroidery floss to hand embroider the penguins' eyes.

Quilting:
I used the neutral thread "Snow Cone" (So Fine 50 #401) so that the winter birds would stand out on the neutral background and the quilting wouldn't take away from the colorful patchworked fabrics.

At the beginning of the second row, I had timing problems and had to do some frog sewing (rippit rippit) and then restitch. Totally user error! My longarm is still one of my most beloved tools.

Trimming:
Squaring up the runner after taking it off the long arm, getting it ready to add the binding.

Binding:
After auditioning fabrics for the binding, my daughter chose the black & white polka dot.

First attaching the binding strips to the back of the runner...

...then wrapping the binding around to the front.

Successfully mitered corners always make me happy.

🐧🐧🐧
The January runner fits on its intended table perfectly!



🐧SUMMARY:🐧
Finished Size: 9" x 83"
Front piecing: Patchwork penguins and robins on a scrappy off-white/neutral background.
Backing: Neutral ivory batik.
BindingThe binding is machine sewn, using black & white polka dot fabric.
QuiltingTwo rows of Intelligent Quilting's "Ginger Snap". Front and back stitched with "Snow Cone" (So Fine 50 #401).

Comments