Quarantine Dog Nap Quilt - #3 of 7

During my "2020 stay at home quarantine time", I created several nap-sized & crate-sized quilts for all 7 of my grand-pups! This is Hazen's "chopsticks" quilt.

Finished size: 33" x 33"

💜🌈In July of 2021, at almost 13 years old, Hazen crossed the rainbow bridge. 🌈💜


(click on photos to enlarge)
Quilt Front:
All materials used were remaining fabrics from previously completed projects.

Front Piecing: I combined (9) chopsticks blocks a friend gave me (she received them in a block swap, but never used them). I set the blocks on pointe and added colorful setting squares and triangles made from Timeless Treasures' Paradise line.

Border: The striped border was fabric I purchased to be the binding for the Fairy Baby Quilt I made years ago, but it just didn't work once that quilt was pieced. So it sat in my stash and patiently waited to finally be used in this quilt, instead!

Binding: I used leftover binding strips from 3 quilts I previously made: the Blue Strip Quilt, the Woodlands Toddler Quilt and the Purple & Green Youth Quilt.

Quilt Back:
Backing: This is a single sheet of pink flannel that was given to me by another friend. Flannel is soft and cuddly, just as a grand-pup deserves.

Quilting:
Quilting: Here is the quilt, loaded and ready to be quilted on my Janome QMP18 longarm. For extra cushion, I used 2 layers of cotton batting.

Quilt Stitching: Following Linda Matteotti's tutorial, I created a digitized text-wheel quilting design in Art & Stitch. I built out the entire quilt first, before I imported it into my ProStitcher software on my long arm. I again made sure some of the quilting was mirror reversed, so that Hazen's name was readable from either the front or the back of the quilt.

Thread: The front of the quilt is stitched in Aster Pink (So Fine 50 #462)
 and the back is quilted using Out of the Blue (So Fine 50 #433).


Washing:
For me, falling in love with a quilt begins after the completed quilt has been washed. It becomes wrinkly and puckery, and is so very soft - ready for years of cuddling.


Since this quilt was completed at the same time I was making 4 others, I washed 5 quilts together. I used Color Grabbers dye trapping sheets, and they removed much of the fabric dyes, to prevent any color bleeding in future washings.

Quilt Recipient:
This quilt was made for my dear grand-pup Hazen, who is the only girl living in a house with 4 furry brothers! She is 10 years old.
💜🌈In July of 2021, at almost 13 years old, Hazen crossed the rainbow bridge. 🌈💜



Here are links to the 4 other quilts I made for Hazen's brothers:

Quilt Summary:
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 33" x 33"
Front piecing: Nine chopsticks blocks received from a friend, set on pointe.  A striped border made from leftover fabric in my stash.
Back: Soft pink flannel.
Binding: Machine sewn and attached, using leftover binding strips from 3 previously made quilts.
Quilting: Stitched in digital text created in Art & Stitch. I used Aster Pink (So Fine 50 #462) thread on the front and Out of the Blue (So Fine 50 #433) on the back.

Comments