Quarantine Dog Nap Quilt - #5 of 7

During my "2020 stay at home quarantine time", I created several nap-sized & crate-sized quilts for all 7 of my grand-pups! This "chopsticks" quilt was made for Bingham.

Finished size: 33" x 34"



(click on photos to enlarge)
QUILT FRONT:  
All materials used were remaining fabrics from previously completed projects.
Front Piecing: I combined (9) chopsticks blocks a friend gave me (she received them in a block swap, but never used them).
Border #1: I first added a wide border using an adorable novelty cotton printed with vintage camping trailers, bears, bunnies & raccoons. It was a clearance fabric I bought a few years ago that I thought I might use in the Woodlands Toddler Quilt I made, but it ended up not being exactly right for that project. So it sat in my stash until it was time to become part of this quilt, instead!
Border #2: Then I created a second outer border by piecing together 3" scrappy red fabric squares.
Chain piecing the 3" squares to build the second border.

Binding: I again used the same vintage camping trailers fabric I used for the borders.

QUILT BACK:
Backing: A small print of red & white checked cotton, which was given to me from a friend as a birthday gift many years ago.

+++++++ Quilting:+++++++  
Quilting: Here is the quilt, loaded and ready to be quilted on my Janome QMP18 longarm. For extra cushion, I used 2 layers of cotton batting.

Quilt Stitching: Following Linda Matteotti's tutorial, I created a digitized text quilting design of Bingham's name in Art & Stitch, which I then I imported it into my ProStitcher software on my long arm. I bordered the name along the top and bottom of the quilt, then filled the rest with My Creative Stitches' edge-to-edge Puppy Love design.

Thread: The front of the quilt is stitched in Chocolate (So Fine 50 #424)
 and the back is quilted using Black (So Fine 50 #411).


WASHING:
After piecing of a quilt top is finished, there's still so much more to happen to make the quilt complete and ready to be loved! It gets quilted, binding is added, and then the quilt is washed. Once it has become soft, pliable, and is filled with lovely wrinkles and puckers, it's ready to be used for a lifetime.


Since this quilt was completed at the same time I was making 4 others, I washed 5 quilts together. I used Color Grabbers dye trapping sheets, and they removed much of the fabric dyes, to prevent any color bleeding in future washings.

QUILT RECIPIENT:
This quilt was made for the youngest in his family, Bingham. He's less than 4 months old!


Here are links to the 4 other quilts I made for Bingham's 3 brothers and 1 sister:

QUILT SUMMARY:
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 33" x 34"
Front piecing: Nine chopsticks blocks received from a friendTwo borders added, both made from fabric yardage and scraps in my stash.
Back: Red & white tiny checkered cotton.
Binding: Machine sewn and attached, using binding fabric from my stash that matches the wider front border.
Quilting: Stitched in digital text created in Art & Stitch, as well as My Creative Stitches' edge-to-edge Puppy Love design. I used Chocolate (So Fine 50 #424) thread on the front and Black (So Fine 50 #411) on the back.

Comments