Mythic Batik Lap Chemo Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my PFAFF Expression 710.

I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.


Finished size:
 60" x 65"

(click on photos to enlarge)
🌄FINISHED QUILT:🌄



Front piecing: An 8 x 4 grid of 32 blocks made from Boundless Fabric's Mythic 2.5" strips, and batiks from my stash, following Moonkin Stitchery's Witching Hour pattern.



Backing: Pieced, with vivid purple print batik yardage, and a band of 33 Boundless Fabric's Mythic 2.5" strips.

Quilt Stitching, Pattern: I quilted using edge-to-edge Water and Bubbles from Wasatch Quilting.

Quilt Stitching, Thread: I used "Shooting Star" (So Fine 50 #500) thread for the front of the quilt, then chose "Purple Iris" (So Fine 50 #441)for the quilt back.

Label: Since this is a donated quilt, I chose to use a permanent fabric pen to add very small initials and the year rather than attaching an official label.

🌄PROGRESS PHOTOS:🌄
Construction - Blocks:
With short notice, I was asked to make a quilt for someone who is beginning chemo treatments. I had to use what I had on hand, and the only suggestion I received was that "she likes jewel tones and color". I immediately thought of the two Boundless Fabric's Mythic jelly rolls I had recently purchased from an estate sale. They were still in the original packaging, and when I bought them I had no idea what I would use them for...now they had a purpose!

So much color to work with! Now to find a pattern that was pretty quick but would still focus on the beautiful fantasy prints, and also allow me to use strip sets (less fabric cutting, more time saving).

I searched YouTube for "quilt patterns in a day" and found Moonkin Stitchery's Witching Hour (free pattern). Perfect!

To make the blocks, I started pairing the Mythic strips with batik fabrics from my stash, and I loved the effect.

Did lots of chain piecing to also save time.

As I completed each block, I put it up on my design wall. I had no grand plan, I just continued to pair strips together, make blocks, and then fill in the empty spaces with batiks from my scrap stash. I did pay attention to the values of the colors (lights, darks, mediums) to create some contrast.

Once all 32 blocks were joined together, they were calling for a bold-colored border to tie everything together. I chose a tone-on-tone dark purple batik from my stash.

Construction - Backing:
I also had this batik fabric in my stash, but the yardage was about a half-yard too short to be a complete 60" x 65" backing. I felt like it was so perfect, I just had to figure out how to make it work. 

So I decided to use more of the Mythic fabric and joined enough strips together to make a 20" x 70" slab piece, which I then added to the backing yardage.

All 32 Mythic strips joined together in a slab and pinned to the backing yardage, ready to be attached.

Quilting:
Once the backing is loaded on my long arm, I roll the fabric back and forth between the front and back bars a couple times to help even tension and remove any potential wrinkles or folds. 

Before starting the actual quilt stitching, I first baste down one side, across the belly bar, and back up the other side, advancing and repeating, until the entire quilt sandwich is basted. Totally worth the initial time investment!

My first time using Water and Bubbles from Wasatch Quilting. I used my ProStitcher software to resize the design to 10", repeat-and-wrap it, and produce a great edge-to-edge design, which stitched problem-free.

Beginning the first of 8 rows.



Last and final row - 8 of 8.

Trimming:
Trimming to make a finished 2.5" border.

Binding:
I joined together several 2.5" strips of the purple patterned batik (I had just enough left over from the backing) until I had a total of about 300" of binding strips. Then I ironed them in half.

First I attached the binding strips to the back of the quilt with a scant 1/4" seam.

joined the two ends of the binding on the bias to reduce bulk.

Then I wrapped the binding around and sewed it to the front of the quilt. 

I have some old-fashioned corsage pins that are thicker than standard straight pins. I like to use them to help make almost-perfectly mitered corners.

Washing:
I machine washed the finished quilt twice (cold water, no bleach) using dye trapping sheets (I use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers). I always wash a quilt before I gift it, so the quilting stitch pattern will show to the fullest and the quilt's softness can be enjoyed immediately!


Just love all the lovely texture created by this quilting pattern. After washing, this lap quilt is now very soft and ready to wrap someone up in a bit of comfort.

🌄QUILT SUMMARY:🌄
I machine pieced this quilt on my PFAFF Expression 710.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 60" x 65"
Front piecing8 x 4 grid of 32 blocks made from Boundless Fabric's Mythic 2.5" strips, and batiks from my stash, following Moonkin Stitchery's Witching Hour pattern.
Back: Pieced - using vivid purple print batik yardage, and a band of 33 Boundless Fabric's Mythic 2.5" strips.
Binding: Machine sewn, using more of the purple print batik backing fabric.
Quilting: Edge-to-edge Water and Bubbles from Wasatch Quilting. "Shooting Star" (So Fine 50 #500) on the front, and "Purple Iris" (So Fine 50 #441)on the back.





Comments