Summer Rainbows Table Runner

I machine pieced this table runner on my Bernina 240, and quilted it on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.


Finished size: 9.5" x 84"
(click on photos to enlarge)
🌈FINISHED RUNNER:🌈


Front Piecing:
Per my daughter's request (since this is for her house's entry table) this table runner has rainbows as a representation of June Pride month. 
These abstract rainbows were inspired by Crafterhours' Mini Giant Rainbow

Stitching:
Threads: Thread used on the front is "Bone" (So Fine 50 #452), and on the back is "Cashew" (So Fine 50 #405).

Pattern: Baptist fans that are wrapped and nestled.

🌈PROGRESS PHOTOS:🌈
Construction-Front:
Inspired by Crafterhours' Mini Giant RainbowI went through my scrap strips and created strip sets in the ROYGBIV and VIBGYOR sequences.

Then I used my 45° triangle ruler to cut 8.5" tall triangles from the strip sets, and added neutral fabric pieces around each triangle. When I carefully joined the 4 rainbow pieces together (by matching/pinning seams) it created a 180° abstract rainbow.

After joining the 4 sections, I squared up the rainbow rectangle. I made 4 large rainbows, and then 1 small one on each end.

Quilting:
I joined batting pieces leftover from larger previously made projects.

Starting the first of two rows of wrapped Baptist Fans.

Working on the second row of nestled Baptist Fans.

I quilted the front with the neutral thread "Bone" (So Fine 50 #452), so that the rainbows would continue to stand out on the neutral background and the quilting wouldn't take away from the colorful fabrics.

Trimming:
Squaring up the runner after taking it off the long arm, getting it ready to add the binding.

Binding:
The scraps cutoff from trimming the backing made perfect 2.5" strips for the binding.

First attaching the binding strips to the back of the runner...

...then wrapping the binding around to the front.

For precise edges when machine sewing binding, I always use my Bernina 240's blind hem foot

🌈🌈🌈
The June runner fits on its intended table perfectly!



🌈SUMMARY:🌈
Finished Size: 9.5" x 84"
Front piecing: 4 large and 2 small abstract rainbows inspired by Crafterhours' Mini Giant Rainbow
Backing: A colorful rainbow batik.
BindingThe binding is machine sewn, using the same rainbow batik as the backing.
QuiltingTwo rows of Baptist Fans, wrapped and nestled. Front stitched with "Bone" (So Fine 50 #452), and back with "Cashew" (So Fine 50 #405).

Comments