Pink & Purple Butterflies & Fairies Youth Quilt


I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 46" x 57"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 

Front piecing: Using prints of flowers, fairies, butterflies and ballet slippers, this quilt is pieced in the "Ribbon Dance" pattern. There are also ten squares that are appliquéd on pointe and then embroidered with a pink satin stitch. 
Border: The quilt is is framed by a border of extended piano keys.

The backing is a pastel pattern of pink, gold and white diamonds by BasicGrey for Moda.

The quilting pattern is wonderfully fun pattern called simply "Candy".
It stitches out popsicles, peppermints, lollipops, ribbon candies (plus many more varieties of treats) all joined together with hearts and swirls. 

I wanted the prints on the front fabrics to be the focus, so I used White Glide 60 thread to quilt both the front and back.

Since this quilt is being donated to the oncology ward at a large children's hospital, I added a pretty non-conspicuous label with my signature and the year, written with fabric ink onto a piece of fabric and tucked into a corner with the binding.

After machine washing with dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers), the quilt is wrinkly and wonderfully soft.

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
Arranging half square triangles into the "Ribbon Dance" pattern.

I decided it needed a little more color in the larger non-ribbon areas...

...so I prepared some squares for turned-edge appliqué.

Joining many, many blocks and strips together for the extended piano key border.

Edge-to-edge "Candy" design being stitched on my Janome QMP18 long arm.

The binding is all folded around from the back, mitered and clipped into place, ready for the sewing machine.

Attaching the backing binding with my Bernina 240 using my blind hem foot 

+++++++ Quilt Recipient: +++++++ 
Donated to Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children's oncology Ronald McDonald room. 

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 45" x 58"
Front piecing: Pieced in "Ribbon Dance" pattern, this quilt uses prints of flowers, fairies, butterflies and ballet slippers. It has ten smaller squares that are appliquéd on pointe and then embroidered with a pink satin stitch.  
Border: This quilt is framed by a border of extended piano keys made from the same pieced fabrics.
BackThe backing is a pastel pattern of pink, gold and white diamonds by BasicGrey for Moda.
BindingThe binding is folded over from the back and attached via sewing machine. Label is a piece of folded fabric, signed and dated with indelible fabric ink, and tucked into a corner of the binding.
QuiltingQuilted in an edge-to-edge pattern called "Candy". Used white thread on both the front and the back to allow the prints of the fabrics to be the main attraction.


Comments