Halloween Table Runner

I machine pieced this table runner on my Bernina 240, and quilted it on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.


Finished size: 9" x 82"
(click on photos to enlarge)
🎃FINISHED RUNNER:🎃

Front Piecing:
This table runner is made with various free patchwork patterns that I found online for candies and bats. I used all scraps and fat quarters from my (and my friend's) stash to create this runner.

Stitching:

Pattern: I chose a fun stitch pattern from my QMP/Pro-Stitcher program called Repeat Ghosts
Thread: The top was stitched in "Bone" So Fine 50 (#452) (to match the scrappy off-white background) and the backing was stitched in "Chocolate" So Fine 50 (#424) to blend into the backing fabric.

🎃PROGRESS PHOTOS:🎃
Construction-Front:
Thanks to a gracious quilting friend and her plentiful stash, I had several off-white and neutral fabric scraps to choose from while creating all of the holiday table runners.

These fun candies were made using this free pattern:

I created the patchwork bats using this pattern:


Measuring the blocks before they're joined, to be sure they will fit correctly on the intended table.

All stitched together and ready to go onto the longarm.

Quilting:
I used two layers of batting strips leftover from larger previously made projects.

I basted all edges of the batting and the runner before I began stitching. I wanted the quilting to go right off the edge, so it was important the runner didn't move once my longarm began stitching the workspace.

The table runner has to be less than 10" wide so that it fits properly on the entry table it is designed for. It only requires one row of stitching the cute ghost pattern.



Trimming:
Squaring up the runner after taking it off the long arm, readying it to add the binding.

Binding:
This runner is bound with strips of backing fabric leftover from previously made Orange Cactus Quilt, called "Changing Seasons - Sky" by Ro Gregg for Paintbrush Studios.

First attaching the binding strips to the back of the runner...

...then wrapping the binding around to the front.

For precise binding seam sewing, I use my Bernina 240's blind hem foot

🎃🎃🎃
The October runner fits on its intended table perfectly!



🎃SUMMARY:🎃
Finished Size: 9" x 82"
Front piecing: Patchwork candies and bats on a scrappy off-white/neutral background.
BindingThe binding is machine sewn, using backing fabric remnants from a previous quilt.
QuiltingEdge-to-edge of "Repeat Ghosts". Front stitched with "Bone" So Fine 50 (#452)and back stitched with "Chocolate" So Fine 50 (#424).





Comments