Nautical Youth Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 62" x 75"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 


Front piecing:  The center of this quilt is 30 different nautically themed 6" blocks arranged in a 5x6 rectangle, joined with sashing and friendship stars. Then there are 4 more borders surrounding the center.

BackThe backing is a lovely printed cotton with triangles in blues, oranges and yellows.

The quilting stitch is beautiful nautical pattern called "Waves & Pearls" by Wasatch Quilting.

Both the front and the back are quilted with "Daffodil" (So Fine 50 #420) by Superior Threads Daffodil


I machine washed this quilt with dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers), to absorb the fabric dyes and to set the deep vivid colors. After washing, the quilt is wonderfully scrunchy, soft and wrinkled.

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
Chain-piecing the friendship stars for the sashing.

Perusing my scraps for blue and nautically themed strips to use in an inside scrappy border.

Once the 30 inside blocks were all arranged, sewed together and sashed, I added the first of 4 surrounding borders.

Quilt top complete with center blocks, sashing and four more borders. Now the backing and batting are loaded, and the top is floating on my Janome QMP18 long arm, ready to be stitched with edge-to-edge quilting in the "Waves and Pearlspattern. 

The stitching out of "Waves & Pearls" is flawless - and happily the 'pearls' also look like bubbles to me. 

Beginning the last of nine rows.

Attaching the binding strips with my Bernina 240 using the blind hem foot.

The dye trapping sheets removed a lot of fabric dye, so there will be no color bleeding in future washings! (I use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers).

+++++++ Quilt Recipient: +++++++ 
Donated to Quilts for International Missions - Bolivia Children's Home

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 62" x 75"
Front piecingThirty different nautically themed 6" blocks arranged in a 5x6 rectangle, joined with sashing and friendship stars. Then four more borders surround the center.
Back: Colorful printed cotton with triangles in blues, oranges and yellows.
BindingThe binding is machine sewn, using strips of Waverly's “Inspirations”.
Quilting: Edge-to-edge "Waves & Pearls" by Wasatch Quilting pattern, both front and back with Superior Threads' "Daffodil" (So Fine 50 #420). 

Comments

Post a Comment