Red & Yellow Flying Geese Youth Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 49" x 60"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 

Front piecing:  I combined two methods to make the 12 blocks on the front: Mile a Minute Piecing and Improv Piecing. Both are an excellent way to use scraps and strips. In between the blocks are rows of flying geese as sashings. 
Borders: The top and bottom have 5" wide flying geese borders, and the sides have 2" half square triangles. The final outer borders are 3" wide solids (dark blue and forest green).

The backing is a warm and lively reddish-orange print of woodland creatures (many reading books!), from the "Poppi Lovers" Collection by Santoro for QT Fabrics.

With so many straight lines and sharp points in the pieced front, I used a "Repeat Double Swirl" quilting pattern as a compliment. I used daffodil yellow thread on the front, and chocolate brown thread on the back.


I made a wider binding than I normally do, and then I stitched 3 rows of straight-line echo quilting all around the binding.

Here is the quilt all soft and folded up and ready to go!

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
Initially I made the blocks only 6" in size. But I wanted something larger for this quilt, so I continued to add onto the blocks using both the Mile a Minute Piecing and the Improv Piecing methods until they were 9.5" in size.

I made my Flying Geese 4-at-a-time, since I had so many to use for sashings and borders in this quilt.

Using even tinier scraps, I made the 2" half square triangles for the inner side borders. 

I thought I was done with piecing the quilt top, but it hadn't yet reached at least 60", so I added 3" outer borders.

The backing and batting are loaded, and the top is floating on my Janome QMP18 long arm, with edge-to-edge "Repeat Double Swirl" being quilted .

The large round swirls perfectly compliment the straight lines and sharp points of the pieced top.

The binding is all folded around from the back, mitered and pinned into place, being attached with my Bernina 240 using the blind hem foot.

I machine washed this very colorful quilt three times with dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers), since it has so many bright, colorful fabrics. After washings, the quilt is soft and beautifully puckered and wrinkled.

+++++++ Quilt Recipient: +++++++ 
Donated to Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children's oncology Ronald McDonald room. 

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 49" x 60"
Front piecingI combined two methods to make the 12 blocks on the front: Mile a Minute Piecing and Improv Piecing. Both are an excellent way to use scraps and strips. In between the blocks are rows of flying geese as sashings. 
Borders: The top and bottom have 5" wide flying geese borders, and the sides have 2" half square triangles. The final outer borders are 3" wide solids (dark blue and forest green).
BackThe backing is a warm and lively reddish-orange print of happy woodland creatures, many of them reading books, from the "Poppi Lovers" Collection by Santoro for QT Fabrics.
BindingThe binding is folded over from the back and attached via sewing machine. It is a wider binding than I normally make, and I stitched 3 rows of straight-line echo quilting all around the binding.
Quilting: Used a "Repeat Double Swirl" quilting pattern as a compliment to the straight lines and sharp points of the pieced top. I used So Fine 50 daffodil yellow thread on the front, and So Fine 50 chocolate brown thread on the back.

Comments