Christmas Tree Table Runner

I machine pieced this table runner on my Bernina 240, and quilted it on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.


Finished size: 9" x 83"
(click on photos to enlarge)
🌲FINISHED RUNNER:🌲



Front Piecing:
This Christmas Tree table runner is made using the "Crazy Christmas Trees" pattern by Cut Loose Press. Four full-sized trees encompass the top of the runner, and two smaller versions (that I made using smaller measurements than the pattern instructed) hang off each end. I used all scraps and fat quarters from my (and my friend's) stash to create this runner.

Stitching:
Pattern: I chose a fun stitch pattern from my QMP program called Repeat Christmas Lights

Backing: The vibrant green backing fabric is "Bree" by Nancy Halvorsen for Benartex.
Thread: The top was stitched in "Bone" So Fine 50 (#452) (to match the scrappy off-white background) and the backing was stitched in "Wild Grass" So Fine 50 (#483) to blend into the backing fabric.

🌲PROGRESS PHOTOS:🌲
Construction-Front:
Thanks to a gracious quilting friend and her plentiful stash, I had several off-white and neutral fabric scraps to choose from while creating all of the holiday table runners.


To make the trees, I purchased the "Crazy Christmas Trees" pattern from Cut Loose Press.

Measuring the blocks before they're joined, to be sure they will fit correctly on the intended table.

Quilting:
I used two layers of batting strips leftover from larger previously made projects.

I basted all 4 edges of the double-layered batting and the runner before I began stitching. I wanted the quilting to go right off the edge, so it was important the runner didn't move once my longarm began stitching the workspace.

The table runner has to be less than 10" wide so that it fits properly on the entry table it is designed for. To get the fuller look I wanted, I stitched a complete row of the christmas lights pattern, then added a second partial row across the bottom of the runner.



Trimming:
Squaring up the runner after taking it off the long arm, getting it ready to add the binding.

Binding:
This runner is bound with strips of a festive, colorful fabric called "Golden Holiday" by Dover Hill for Benartex.

First attaching the binding strips to the back of the runner...

...then wrapping the binding around to the front.

For precise binding seam sewing, I use my Bernina 240's blind hem foot

🌲🌲🌲
The December runner fits on its intended table perfectly!



🌲SUMMARY:🌲
Finished Size: 9" x 83"
Front piecing"Crazy Christmas Trees" on a scrappy off-white/neutral background.
Backing: Vibrant green fabric called "Bree" by Nancy Halvorsen for Benartex.
BindingThe binding is machine sewn, using a colorful fabric called "Golden Holiday" by Dover Hill for Benartex.
QuiltingEdge-to-edge of "Repeat Christmas Lights". Front stitched with "Bone" So Fine 50 (#452)and back stitched with "Wild Grass" So Fine 50 (#483).

Comments