Scrappy Cats Lap Quilt

I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.

Finished size: 48" x 60"

(click on photos to enlarge)
+++++++ Finished quilt details: +++++++ 

Front piecing:  Eight outer blocks are constructed using the "Spin Me Round" technique, and 4 middle blocks are patchworked, for a total of 12 blocks, each 10" square.
Borders: I used an 8" Dresden ruler to create wedges for the scrappy wedged border

Quilting: Each block is quilted using a different stitch pattern and a different color thread. 



Backing: The backing fabric is a black, navy and tan plaid. I chose chocolate brown thread for the back, since I wanted the quilting patterns from the front to be barely visible on the reverse side.

The areas of the quilt that are not included in the 12 individual blocks (including the borders) are stitched in "Wavy Baubles Squares" pattern by Intelligent Quilting.

I chose to print a label on a printable fabric sheet using an ink jet printer.

I machine washed this colorful quilt with dye trapping sheets (I like to use either Color Catchers or Color Grabbers). After washing, the quilting is wonderfully wrinkled and soft.

+++++++ Progress photos: +++++++
Eight of the blocks are constructed using the "Spin Me Round"  technique.

Each of the four scrappy patchwork cats are constructed from 26 different 2" squares, all unique, no duplicate fabrics.

Constructing the scrappy wedged border using my 8" Dresden ruler.

Quilting one of the 13 different designs on my Janome QMP 18.

I always like to take a long arm picture of the first row...and the last!

To make sure the binding would easily go around the curved edges, I made a continuous bias binding from the same black fabric as the front sashing.

Attaching the bias binding using the blind hem foot on my Bernina 240.

+++++++ Quilt Recipient: +++++++ 
Made for a long-time family friend who I've seen have books and her kitties on her lap on several occasions. ðŸ˜» I hope Linn Payne and her kitties enjoy its warmth and bright scrappiness!

+++++++ Quilt Summary: +++++++ 
I used 13 different quilting stitch patterns, and 6 different color threads on this quilt.
I machine pieced this quilt on my Bernina 240.
I quilted this quilt on my Janome QMP-18 long arm.
Finished size: 48" x 60"
Front piecing: There are 12 blocks total on the front: 8 are constructed using the "Spin Me Round" technique, and 4 are patchworked, each using 26 individual 2" blocks.
Borders: A scrappy wedged border using an 8" Dresden ruler.
Back: Backing fabric is a black, navy and tan plaid. 
Bindingcontinuous bias binding is made from the same black fabric as the front sashing.
QuiltingEach block is quilted using a different stitch pattern and a different color thread. 
Red = So Fine 50 "Hot Chilies" (#412)
Blue = So Fine 50 "Out of the Blue" (#433)
Yellow = So Fine 50 "Daffodil" (#420)
Green = So Fine 50 "Spring Green" (#450)
Black = So Fine 50 "Black" (#411)
The back is quilted in So Fine 50 "Chocolate" (#424), to blend in with the backing fabric.


Comments